Monday, February 11, 2008

i am convinced

i'm pretty convinced that very few people in New Orleans understand the blinking yellow traffic light. i had about four cars try to stop for me when i had a stop. i appreciate the gesture, but i would have been nailed by the cars that were driving in the other lane!

My teammate Arthur also relayed to me that he owes an inordinate amount of money on his car because all of his brakes are shot even though his mechanic in Ohio checked them and said they were fine last August. This comes as somewhat of a surprise to me, but it seems reasonable. Louisiana roads are horrible. And i wont even go into the amount of litter that there is.

i'm struggling a lot with this place because i'm seeing a little bit of its true colors. It's a mess here. i'd expect a mess after Hurricane Katrina, but the kind of mess runs way deeper. i'm going to have to brush up on my history because this place has deep-seated problems. My struggle is that i see what is necessary here and i'm starting to understand the sense of mission an outsider like me must have to stay here and i'm also wondering if i even have it.

By the way, i have a bunch of unfinished posts that are in the works that i hope to finish eventually! That would be great wouldnt it? i think so. Check back soon and see if i ever got to work on them.

No comments: